The Hall was built by Sir Henry Massingberd in 1700 according to a dated keystone on the west doorway. The mansion is set in acres of parkland which is contains a number of trees in various stages of development. The courtyard leads to beautiful well kept gardens in which there is a blue gazebo.
Alfred Lord Tennyson described it as 'an English home... all things in order stored, a haunt of peace'. These are words he wrote out by hand and which now hand framed in the library.
Plants are for sale in the during the Summer months when the house and gardens are open. The font lawns contain yew hedges. The path beside the large lawn at the rear of the house leads to the Church.
Feild-Marshal Sir Archibald Montgomery-Massingberd managed to save the mansion from being demolished during the Second World War to make way for a longer runway for the Steeping Aerodrome. The runway was needed for the Lancaster Bombers; its line was redrawn and Gunby was saved. The Hall was given to the National Trust in 1944 and is open to the public on certain days of the week in the Summer.
> back to Local History