Old Bolingbroke near Spilsby
The Siege of Bolingbroke - 370 years ago - Saturday & Sunday 5th and 6th October 2013.
The name Bolingbroke originated in the Anglo Saxon era in the fifth and sixth centuries. It means 'The brook of the people of Bulla.' The brook referred to flows south through the village to the east of the castle, which was surrounded by a moat, about 100ft wide and enclosing an area 250ft in diameter.
In 1086 Bolingbroke was first recorded in the Domesday Book. It was
then a thriving village with a market. The earliest written reference
about the castle is 1232.
In the Village centre is a bed of Lancastrian roses surrounding Henry IV s coat of arms. An inscription on a plaque reads:
'The Royal Village of Old Bolingbroke.
The shield bears the arms of Edmund, first Earl of Lancaster .
These are the arms of the Duchy of Lancaster, who presented the shield to this village on August 4th. 1966 in commemoration of the birth in Bolingbroke Castle in 1366 of Henry Bolingbroke, Duke of Lancaster, King of England.
The Roses are the original rose of Lancaster, grown in Provins and adopted by Edmund as his emblem in 1280. They are a gift to the village from the Mayor and People of Provins, March 1967.'
The Castle site is open to the public all year round, free of charge,
and its history is depicted on display boards. The site provides the perfect
backdrop for the occasional open air concert.
Part of the church of St Peter and St Paul dates back to the 14th century. It is believed that this rebuilding was paid for by John of Gaunt.
>>> Old Bolingbroke Castle
>>> Old Bolingbroke Castle: Siege and Capture